Zimmer® Multi units
In this section you can buy the Multi-unit system. It is a system of prosthetics with screw fixation of crowns and splint constructions to the abutment (without cement). The multi-unit prosthetics system is indispensable for complex reconstructions when a large part of the tooth row must be restored. The multi-unit system is not designed for single restorations. It does, however, have a number of advantages in the case of multiple restorations:
- Cement rejection at the soft-tissue level: The abutment and implant are connected with a screw, making the interface line between the implant and abutment cement-free. The crown or splint bridge structure is attached to the abutment with another screw. There is another intermediate link in this system, the connection sleeve, see illustration below.
The sleeve is rigidly glued into structure of crowns or entire bridge. Adhesive cement is used here, but all operations occur outside the patient’s oral cavity. After manufacturing and fitting, the prosthesis is fixed to the abutment. The place where the screw enters the crown is sealed. The general principle of prosthetics on multi-units is shown in the figure below.This is the key difference between the multi-unit system and cemented abutments. All adhesives and cementitious compositions are used outside the patient’s oral cavity. This is a good thing because cement residues cause irritation and inflammation of the gingiva. Of course, the cement residue at the junction of the crown and abutment is removed, but the dentist can’t always get to the tricky places between the teeth, especially if it is a splinted design with a complex configuration. For single implants, cemented crown fixation is still used.
- The abutment is screwed once and for all: Crowns and bridges can be changed from temporary to permanent or from a paired implant to a bridge structure for three or four teeth, if several more teeth have been lost over time. With all these manipulations, the implant is completely protected and immobilized.
- Better lateral load distribution from dentures compared to cement fixation: There are studies that prove prosthetics on the multi-unit platform load the top of the implant less. This is especially important if implants with a diameter of less than 4 mm are used. These models have a fairly thin wall in the coronal part, and there is a high risk of implant blight if the Ti-base platform is used. In addition, the multi-unit system abutment not only distributes the load better, but also acts as a mechanical safety guard. In the event of extreme stress, the abutment screw will break first, but not the implant. It is easy enough to remove the screw chip. After that, it is also easy to repair the restoration. To prevent the situation from repeating, it is recommended to remove the problematic crown from the bite.
- There is no micro-movement at the implant/abutment level in multi-unit systems. This is significantly lower than when using cement-retained crowns. This is important because there is always a micro-gap between the implant and the abutment, and if the connection is movable, the so-called pump effect occurs – this is the pumping of fluid with bacteria through the gingival cuff into the internal structures of soft tissues. If the microflora from the oral cavity penetrates into the sterile environment of soft tissues and alveolar bone, this can cause inflammation that can result in the loss of the implant.
- With screw fixation, it is much easier to achieve a passive fit (no internal stresses): This will reduce the risk of loosening and breaking of the screws. The prosthesis on the multi-unit can be removed, adjusted, changed to a new one without internal surges. Even if local overstresses remain, they are displaced to the area between the abutment and the removable sleeve, where it is much easier to deal with them. Even if micromotion remains, it is located above the level of soft tissues and will not cause a pump effect and inflammation of the gums. All operations are quite simple and are performed quickly and almost painlessly. Whereas knocking down cement fixation is difficult, and very traumatic. This is harmful both for soft tissues and for the bone, because the implant can move, and an extra bone injury has not yet added health to anyone.
- Screw fixation of crowns works well in difficult situations with bone deficiency and the inability to line up implants in the line of the dentition: The multi-unit system allows you to fit implants at different angles and even in a checkerboard pattern. Placing the implants at an angle to each other is useful and recommended in any case. This allows you to evenly distribute the load and reduce the risk of loosening and breaking of the screws. On the multi-unit system, it is easier to make a high-quality restoration of the dentition, see the photo below.
- If the crown height is 3-4 mm: You also need to buy multi-unit screw-retained abutments. Cementation will not hold such a crown in the long-term and the risk of crown loss is very high.
- Easy removal of crowns and bridges when using multi-unit screw abutments: It is necessary to drill the crown to reach the screw and remove the bridge structure from the abutment. With the cement fixation technique, the crown has to be physically dislodged from the abutment. This is a traumatic procedure and there is a real risk of bone damage. The impact will be transmitted to the jaw bone like a lever.
- Economic and reputational effect for the dentist: Despite the fact that the components of the multi-unit system are noticeably more expensive in the long-run, their use is beneficial.
Complex structures on the Ti-base platform always have internal over-voltages that contributes to the unscrewing of the screws or the destruction of the cement layer (crowns are separated). Quite often, such problems occur within a few months after the installation of the restoration. There are two possible scenarios:
- The patient goes to another specialist who remakes the prosthesis. Another dentist often switches from Ti-base to multi-unit; the prosthesis works well, the patient is satisfied and remains a client of another specialist.
- You will have to redo the restoration and fix problems at your own expense, but problems arise in difficult cases and the amount of work is very large. In any case, this is a minus in terms of income, although the reputation can be maintained.
List of multi-unit components that can be purchased online
- Multi-unit (MUA) D-type abutments provide better functionality and freedom of action for the dentist, which means better results for patients. We have already mentioned the main advantages of the screw fixation system. You can buy both angled and straight abutments from us.
Please note that we have different types of multi-unit abutments. Integrated with a screw and two-component, when the abutment and fixation screw are separate articles.
You can also buy straight and angled abutments with different interface heights above the implant level. This allows us to solve the most complex problems of prosthetics.
For example, when there is a local bone deficiency and it is necessary to install dental implants at significant angles relative to the dentition. At the same time, it is possible to avoid complex operations for vertical bone augmentation or open sinus lift. After all, the risk of complications in such operations can be 20% or more.Combinations of straight and angled abutments are most commonly used for full arch restorations, including in combination with zygomatic dental implants.Multi-unit abutments are great for conditionally removable dentures, when the dentist removes the denture once a year, cleans the denture itself and treats the gums (if necessary). Also, the screw-retained system with angled abutments is well suited for cases of immediate installation of a complete reconstruction. These are cases of restoration when the denture begins to work within a few hours after implantation.Multi-unit abutments are also suitable in all cases where all-by-4 or all-by-6 implants are required. Because it is possible to place the implants at angles to overcome the limitations of the anatomical structures and distribute the masticatory load evenly in all planes.We can buy multi-unit angled abutments with 17 and 30 degree angles. Multi-unit angle abutment of 17 degrees allows compensation angles of deviation up to 74 degrees and the 30 degrees variant can compensate the angle of deviation up to 100 degrees.
UNIQA DENTAL straight and angled abutments are made of Grade 23 titanium alloy, which has high strength (comparable to Grade 5 alloy) but superior plasticity, which is especially important for angular structures where the load is unevenly distributed.
The screw-retained system also allows the connection between the root implant and the abutment to be brought to gingival level. This allows for soft tissue trauma when the restoration must be removed and reinstalled. This is extremely important because soft tissue health is the most important factor in a patient’s quality of life.
- Healing caps (gingiva formers) for the formation of the gingival socket.
- Screws for attaching multi-unit abutments to the implant as well as for attaching the prosthesis (bridge) to the multi-unit abutment.
- Adapters and transfers for taking impressions and modeling the splint construction outside the oral cavity.
Why it’s profitable to buy multi-unit system components from us
There are a lot of suppliers of elements for dental implantation with beautiful presentations and confident sales representatives in expensive suits. We went the other way. You can buy our products from this web site and order delivery, which is free from us even for one unit of production. This reduces the final price due to the absence of hospitality and print advertising. If you decide to order multi-unit abutments or related accessories from us, you will receive:
- Impeccable quality because we invest in technology, not marketing with beautiful brochures and big promises.
- Free shipping of any components anywhere in the world.
- Fast delivery within the United States, because we have warehouses and representative offices of our company in the United States.
You can also leave an order for samples for testing. We will send an evaluation kit for the nominal price of $1.